The Health & Wellbeing Department

Head of Department = Mrs L DeBoeck

Context

The department consists of 5 specialist teachers with a wide and diverse range of skills and expertise, Mrs L DeBoeck is curriculum leader for the department working with Miss L Whyte, Mr G Gardner, Mr K O’Leary and Mr B Jepson. Our Health and Wellbeing department comprises core PE from year 7 through to 11 and 2 option choices – BTEC Sport and BTEC Health and Social Care.

The department has a range of fantastic resources to use within our curriculum area including an all-weather full-size AstroTurf pitch, a 3G football pitch, a full sized sports hall, a dance studio and access to a state of the art fitness suite.

Curriculum

Key Stage 3

Our curriculum is mapped out so learners experience a vast and diverse range of sports and activities throughout year 7-9. Building character, resilience and respect will form a large part of the health and wellbeing curriculum and learners will experience these skills through sport. Understanding the relationship between health and exercise is key and learners will form links between good health and activity through completion of the Fitness Passport. Recently we have become a school that is licenced to deliver the Nationally recognised Youth Sports Leaders Award. Learners will be given the opportunity to complete this course and have a Nationally recognised leadership qualification before they reach the end of key stage 3.

Key Stage 4

Learners can opt for further study through two vocational options within the health and wellbeing department, these are BTEC Sport and BTEC Health & Social Care. Both courses are of vocational context therefor learners can expect to sit one formal exam totalling around 30% of their final grade, with the remaining 70% being a mixture of assignment and project-based work alongside presentations and role play.

Learners who do not opt for further study at key stage 4 will experience 2 hours of core PE every week where healthy active lifestyles are developed, learners will be given knowledge surrounding different types of health and how to best promote their own personal sense of physical, mental and emotional wellness through sport and physical activity. All learners will be

given the opportunity to complete a Young PT Award and complete a short course in Nutrition for Fitness.

Extra-Curricular

Learners will have the opportunity to trial for various teams and to represent our school in the local school leagues and beyond. Also, on offer will be a variety of multi skills clubs and activities where learners can come to exercise in the gym, take part in a spinning or HITT step session or experience different sports such as trampolining and tennis. In addition to the sessions offered by RSHS we continue to have a strong partnership with Manchester City in the Community project and look forward to our new and exciting partnership with the RFU. Working with both outreach projects allows our learners to have the opportunity to develop their practical skills and train with a specialist coach.

All extra-curricular messages and achievements will be posted on our school web page and on our social media pages

Learners will have the opportunity to trial for various teams and to represent our school in the local school leagues and beyond. Also, on offer will be a variety of multi skills clubs and activities where learners can come to exercise in the gym, take part in a spinning or HITT step session or experience different sports such as trampolining and tennis. In addition to the sessions offered by RSHS we continue to have a strong partnership with Manchester City in the Community project and look forward to our new and exciting partnership with the RFU. Working with both outreach projects allows our learners to have the opportunity to develop their practical skills and train with a specialist coach.

All extra-curricular messages and achievements will be posted on our school web page and on our social media pages